- Our Locations
- Cost Savings
- Pack Like a Pro
- Stop & Stor Services
- Business Program
Here are a few Stop & Stor storage tips we compiled to keep your belongings safe and sound.
A quality lock for your storage unit is a must
- Stop & Stor has locks available for purchase.
- Be careful not to store anything combustible (such as paint and chemicals) or perishable (such as food that is not permanently sealed).
- When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain any fluids prior to storage in order to avoid corrosive damage.
- Don’t pack valuables (jewelry, family photos, etc.) or anything you don’t want to lose. Instead, carry those items with you—no matter what.
- Take an inventory of what you are storing and keep it in a safe place. Label each storage box on all sides.
- Place items that you will need access to in the front of the storage unit. Place heavier items on the bottom.
- Use furniture, such as dressers and cabinets, to store items such as silverware, pictures, and other small items.
- Leave a center aisle for access.
- Place valuable items such as televisions and stereos toward the rear of the storage unit.
Be careful when storing furniture
- Beds, tables, and other unwieldy pieces should be disassembled, stand on end when possible to save space.
- Wrap furniture in storage blankets for extra protection.
- Treat the surfaces of wood furnishings before placing in storage. Keep furniture off the ground, use pallets, wood boards, or plastic sheets.
- Mirrors, pictures, and other delicate items should be wrapped, packed in cardboard and marked fragile.
- Mattresses should be in a mattress bag and stored flat on top of furniture, or an even stack of boxes is a good place.
- Secure all doors and draws to keep from opening.
Other storage ideas
- Larger appliances can serve as great places to store blankets, towels, and sheets.
- Refrigerator doors should be slightly ajar, with an open box of baking soda inside to keep it smelling fresh.
- Add protective covers to all furniture and electronic items.
- Wardrobe boxes make moving easy, and clothes stay nice too.